The Indian Premier League has taken the world by storm. With each passing year, its popularity increases. Teams are created to play the game, players are signed for record-breaking sums of money, and fans are attracted from all over the world to watch their favorite teams.
As the fifteenth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) approaches, we look at some of the best players in this tournament who have been successfully maintaining the positions of best bowlers of this league. And also get to know, who is the best bowler in IPL?
Introduction to Bowling
Bowling in cricket is one of the most crucial aspects of a cricket match. The skill of throwing the ball toward the wicket to get the player out by hitting the wicket or any other way is known as bowling. The player who bowls is known as a bowler. A good bowler is described as the one who has taken maximum wicket by coinciding minimum runs.
Bowlers can be of different types depending on the action of throwing and the speed of the ball. Fast bowlers are the ones whose prime focus is on the fast pace of the ball. In comparison, the spinners focus on deviating the ball’s direction after bouncing the ground. Both types are mandatory to get a strong bowling side in your team.
- Jasprit BumrahJasprit Bumrah is an international Indian cricketer. He is a right-arm fast bowler and is currently playing in the Mumbai Indians team of the IPL. Bumrah is one of the finest and best bowler in IPL that Mumbai Indians have. He has thrown more than 400 hundred overs and conceded about 2997 runs so far in IPL career history. Bumrah has taken a total of 130 wickets in the 400 overs and has maintained an excellent bowling average of about 23. Swinging the new ball in both sides and beaming those accurate yorkers in the death overs, Bumrah has it all to be on top of this list.
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar. Bhuvneshwar Kumar (also known as Bhuvi) is an international Indian cricketer. He is a right-handed fast and medium bowler. Bhuvneshwar made his international debut with the One Day international in December 2012. In IPL, he has been playing for the Sunrisers Hyderabad since 2018. Bhuvneshwar has played a total of 117 matches in his ongoing IPL career and has successfully managed to obtain a good bowling average of about 23.71. He has taken around 133 wickets by giving an average of 7 runs per over.
- Deepak ChaharChahar is an Indian right-arm medium and fast international cricket bowler. He is the first Indian player in the male category who has taken a hat-trick in a T-20 International Match. He has also been awarded he was crowned as the twenty-twenty International performance of the year in 2020 by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for his magnificent performance against the team of Bangladesh. In IPL, he has been a player of the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) since the beginning of his IPL career in 2016. Chahar has grown out to be a great pacer under the guidance of MS Dhoni while playing for Chennai Super Kings.
- Yuzvendra Chahal. A mystery leg-spin bowler has received immense success in the shorter format of cricket for India and Royal Challengers Bangalore. Chahal has been a part of RCB since his career in the IPL tournament. Yuzi has some of the best records as a spinner in IPL and holds the record for most wickets in this tournament. Ironically Chahal also holds the best and worst figures in international tournaments. He helped his side clichéd many victories single-handedly. His career seems bright as he is one of the few bowlers who uses his brain and calculates the batsman approach to set his trap.
- Lasith Malinga. This Sri Lankan legend has just announced his retirement from every format of cricket after having a blast of a career with Mumbai Indians. He was majorly known for his incredible death bowling. Malinga has an excellent grip on yorkers and slower yorkers which helped clinch many wickets throughout his career. He is one of the few players to play different leagues worldwide, including IPL, Big Bash, CPL, PSL, and many more. Lasith also made a significant contribution while playing for his countries and has the record for most wickets as a fast bowler for Sri Lanka.
Performances of Bowlers have always been outstanding in the history of IPL. Fans have witnessed some of the finest bowling performances turning matches in critical stages. Above are the some of top players in IPL history.